Electrical short caused Lone Star Hall evacuation, not fire

An electrical short caused the evacuation of Lone Star Hall on Thursday. According to Mark Shiflet, Sam Houston State University’s environmental, health and safety coordinator, there was no fire. The alarm sounded at 11:53 p.m. due to an electrical shortage in a third-floor water heater.

Hundreds of students were forced to evacuate the dorm late Thursday night due to the alarm. Huntsville Walker County Fire and EMS, University Police Department and a Texas State Trooper all arrived on scene. Blowers were placed in the main threshold to help vent out the smoke.

Leave a Reply