Sam Houston State University officials announced a possible case of viral meningitis in a student who lives off campus.
University spokeswoman Julia May said a student who visited the Student Health Center exhibited signs which resembled the virus.
“At 8:45 [Wednesday] morning, a student went to the Student Health Center with signs that were symptomatic of possibly viral meningitis,” May said. “The student was advised to seek medical treatment, and we have reason to believe the student did. We can’t have a confirmation if it were indeed viral meningitis until the morning when the results of the blood test are available.”
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, viral meningitis is “often less severe than bacterial meningitis and usually resolves without specific treatment” although it can become severe or even fatal.
Texas Senate Bill 1107, passed in 2011, requires all students entering into an institution of higher education to either receive a vaccination against bacterial meningitis or meet certain criteria for declining such a vaccination at least 10 days prior to the first day of classes or 10 days prior to moving into residence halls.
In many cases, viral meningitis is caused by enteroviruses and other viral infections including the mumps, herpes, measles and influenza. In addition, arboviruses carried by mosquitos and other insects and lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus carried by rodents can also lead to meningitis.
University officials have advised students and faculty to look at the CDC website.